What is the Oil Cleansing Method?
Exactly what it sounds like: a means of cleansing the skin with oil.
How does the Oil Cleansing Method Work?
The Oil Cleansing Method is based upon the principal of like-dissolves-like—the oil used to cleanse the skin dissolves the oil on the skin.
Now you may be scratching your head and thinking, “But I have acne. Won’t oil just clog my pores even more?” Well a zit is nothing more than a sticky mess of sebum and dead skin cells and/or dirt. And since like dissolves like, the oil cleansing method can actually help to break up this sticky mess and clear it from the pore.
Will the Oil Cleansing Method make my skin a shiny mess?
The Oil Cleansing Method can help balance your skin’s natural oil production.
Putting oil on your face can “trick” your skin into producing less oil since it thinks it already has enough. And often, the skin produces excess oil if it is dry—by thoroughly moisturizing the skin, the Oil Cleansing Method helps prevent the sebaceous glands (which create face oil) from going into overdrive.
How do you “wash your face with oil” using the Oil Cleansing Method?
Basic Oil Cleansing Method routine:
- Splash some warm water on your face, then gently pat dry.
- Dispense a quarter-size amount of oil into the palm of your hand and gently massage it into your face for 1-2 minutes, especially focusing on those areas with clogged pores.
- Wet a washcloth with hot water (you want it as hot as possible without burning your skin), ring it out and lay it on top of your face (this will open up your pores to get rid of dirt, grime and/or makeup).
- Quickly lay a second dry washcloth on top to trap the moisture and heat. Let it sit for 1-2 minutes, or until the wet washcloth is lukewarm.
- Use the dry washcloth to gently wipe your skin at the end.
- Re-apply hot washcloth to face letting it cool (this will close your pores so bacteria can't get in).
- Follow up with our Rosé Toner, and then our Lavender Bliss oil moisturizer.
How long will it take for me to see results with the Oil Cleansing Method?
It may take a week or so for you skin to adjust to the Oil Cleansing Method and another 2 weeks or so for all the impurities under your skin to surface. As the oil breaks up the gunk in the pores, you may even experience more breakouts during this time. Try to wait it out and resist the urge to use regular facial cleansers during this time, which will prolong the adjustment period.